Thursday, April 7, 2011

Morning in the Big Easy

Cafe au lait & beignets by the river this morning followed by a walk around the area to get my bearings. Convention Center is a few blocks from my hotel; CSCC conference starts later today at the Center. Not a long walk from here, but I'm already wondering about the comfort index of the shoes I brought along.

Life is a mix of things here -- tourists, convention goers (all so very conspicuous with their name badges!), locals, and people wanting to make some money. I'd prefer a quieter look at NOLA -- off the beaten path. But today has been a good introduction. Even though I don't have my camera I've looked at things through a photographer's eye & have enjoyed the beauty of the architecture, the kaleidescope of people, the street artists & tarot card readers, and even the guy trying to make a buck hustling tourists for a shoe shine.

As I looked at the river today, I tried to imagine what it must have been like as Katrina approached, followed by the levee failure ... hard to see evidence of the devestation, but this is my first visit to NOLA and I don't have a sense of the before/after.

I'll be blogging about the conference(s) & conference sessions over the next few days. Hope you join the conversation ... You can also find me on Twitter (@dmcnair) where I'll be microblogging ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment