Tuesday, July 14, 2009

When do we rest?

I know, I know ... it sounds like whining, but really, I'm just trying to figure out the balance in my life. As an administrator, I found it easier to walk away from work stuff on the weekends and in the evenings. As a faculty member, I feel like my time has expanded ... while I don't have to go to an office every day, I'm online every day working with students, working on research, prepping for a class, or involved with a current class. Don't get me wrong; I love the variety and the fact that I'm in more control of my own time & activities. I just am working toward finding balance so I don't feel guilty when I'm "away" from work and focusing on other parts of my life. Any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. Classic time management dilemma in the digital age. I think we need to ask better questions regarding the purpose and practice of some of the way we do our work. Meetings for examples. In educaiton we spend an inordinate amount of time in meetings. My entire day yesterday was in meetings. I know some things were accomplished in these meetings, but the productivity ratio to meeting length was definitely not something to write home about.
    I have just recently received a recommendation to read 4-Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss. I've only scanned the book and website briefly, but there appears to be intriguing concepts in making the most of one's time. I'll let you know if I come across and solid words of wisdom once I read it.

    ReplyDelete